The first Mass in the area was offered in a home in 1852. The first church built to serve the parish was St. Bridget’s Church. St. Bridget’s was located about three miles west of Granger and opened in 1871.
In 1901 a new church was built in the town of Granger. That church building served Assumption parish until it had to be closed in 1988. The existing church building was completed in 1992.
In 1926 Monsignor Luigi Liguitti became the pastor of Assumption Church and established churches in Zookspur, Moran and Woodward. Msgr. Liguitti was instrumental in the establishment of the Granger Homesteads which provided housing to coal-mining, immigrant families.
Msgr. Liguitti opened Assumption School in 1929. The school educated elementary and secondary students until the high school closed in 1966. The school continues to offer a Pre-School through 8th grade curriculum. The parish has a robust Religious Education program that educates more than 300 students annually.
Beaver Catholic Cemetery is owned by Assumption Church. Land was donated for the original Beaver Catholic Cemetery in the late 1800’s. The cemetery was moved to the current location in 1902.
Assumption Church serves the people in the communities of Granger, Grimes, Woodward, Polk City, Minburn, Johnston and Dallas Center. The parish currently has approximately 650 registered families.